Registration for the 2015-2016 School Year will begin Wednesday, May 27th. View the registration flyer for the schedule and more information.
It is the mission of the St. Tammany Parish School System to serve our young children and their families and to create conditions for their success as life-long learners.
Understanding the natural progression of child growth and development, and being grounded in the belief that all children are capable of learning, prekindergarten programs provide a strong foundation for future success. Prekindergarten settings provide rich learning experiences which enhance the development of cognitive, social, emotional, language and literacy, and motor skills in a manner and pace consistent with the needs and capabilities of each individual child. Emphasis is placed on play, the child’s natural approach to learning. Through playful interactions with objects and people, the child gains knowledge about the world in which he/she lives.
Children are part of a family. When families take an active role in the education of the child, he/she is able to be successful. The prekindergarten program provides many opportunities for parental involvement.
Goals for St. Tammany Prekindergarten
1. To develop a positive self-image by encouraging independent thinking, developing problem solving skills, and enabling children to be successful in accomplishing developmentally appropriate tasks set for them.
2. To enhance social and emotional development by furthering the development of respect for human dignity and the rights of others.
3. To expand early concepts, improve communication skills, stimulate interest in the natural world and encourage creativity.
4. To involve parents and families in the young child’s learning experiences.
5. To provide a learning environment that is in keeping with the standards set in the Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale (ECERS).
6. To provide educational opportunities in a developmentally appropriate manner in compliance with the Louisiana Standards for prekindergarten that will prepare children for kindergarten.
Louisiana Pre-Kindergarten General Information
The Louisiana Department of Education receives federal and state funding for early childhood program development. All regular education prekindergarten programs in the St. Tammany Parish Public School System are grant-supported. School systems must adhere to federal and state grant guidelines in order to assure continuation of program funds.
Prekindergarten programs in St. Tammany Parish Public schools are funded by three grant awards: LA-4, Title 1 and 8(g).
The LA-4 program is funded by the State of Louisiana and serves the largest number of prekindergarten children in St. Tammany Parish. The purpose of the LA 4 program is to provide access to universal, high quality, developmentally appropriate prekindergarten classes, before and after school enrichment activities and summer programs (if funding is available) to “at-risk” four-year old children who are eligible to enter public school kindergarten the following year.
In addition to LA-4 funds, Title 1 and 8(g) funds provide for a limited number of classroom spaces to serve four-year old children found to be at academic and/or economic risk.
LA-4 and Title 1 Grant Guidelines are available on the Louisiana Department of Education Website. http://www.louisianaschools.net/lde/saa/1874.html
Schools expected to offer pre-kindergarten classes this year are as follows:
Abita Springs Elementary
Abney Early Childhood
Bayou Woods Elementary
Bonne Ecole Elementary
Cypress Cove Elementary
Fifth Ward Jr. High
Florida Avenue Elementary
Lee Road Jr. High
Little Pearl Elementary
Sixth Ward Elementary
Whispering Forest Elementary