Registration for Pre-K through 12th grade students entering the St. Tammany Parish Public School System for the first time for the 2017-2018 school year will be held Wednesday, August 2nd and Thursday, August 3rd from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. at the school the student will attend.
Before registering for Pre-K at the school, eligibility must be determined by appointment or in person at the Pre-K Office using required income documents. See information for registering for Pre-K below.
Documents to Bring to Registration for Pre-K through 12th:
1. State Certified Birth Certificate
2. Immunization (Shot) Records
3. Social Security Card
4. Proof of Residency using 3 of the documents listed below (must be most current available and list name of parent/guardian and street address)
• At least 1 of the documents must be a current utility bill dated within the last 30 days (electric, natural gas, water or propane/butane), a property tax bill listing homestead exemption or a signed real estate lease agreement from a real estate office, apartment complex or mobile home property, not from an individual.
• Other documents may include the following: paycheck stub, car insurance declarations page, vehicle registration, bank statement, voter registration card, state/federal support services, current year W-2 form, most recent federal or state income tax return or a cable or satellite bill dated within the last 30 days.
Other documents may be required at the time of registration including custody papers, report card/records from the last school, or income verification for Pre-K students.
Parents or guardians who do not have these documents may contact the Covington Attendance Office at 985.898.3370 or the Slidell Attendance Office at 985.646.4917 for assistance.
Registering Pre-Kindergarten Students
To qualify for a regular education Pre-Kindergarten class, a child must be four years old by September 30, 2017, meet income requirements and reside within the attendance area served by the school.
The first step to register is to complete the application for early childhood care and education at www.stpsb.org/childcare.
After applying online, income must be verified and eligibility determined. Bring the required income documents and the child’s birth certificate to the following location or call 985.898.3306 to make an appointment for income verification:
Harrison Curriculum Center
Early Childhood Department
706 W. 28th Avenue, Covington, LA 70433
Monday- Friday between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
In addition to the other documents required for registration, Pre-Kindergarten applicants must provide income verification using at least one of the following documents: Food Stamp Eligibility letter (SNAP) noting case certification period and the child’s name, two consecutive check stubs within two months of completing income verification for each working adult supporting the family (eligibility is based on total household income), monetary determination letter from the Workforce Commission of LA (if unemployed) or current foster care placement agreement from DCFS.
Families who do not meet income eligibility may be charged monthly tuition based on a sliding scale.
For specific information about student eligibility, placement or the screening process call the St. Tammany Parish Pre-Kindergarten Office at 985.898.3306.
Registering Kindergarten and First Grade Students
Any child born before October 1, 2011, will be eligible for the first grade, and any child born before October 1, 2012, will be eligible for kindergarten.
Students who attended and completed a public school kindergarten during the 2016-2017 school year will not be required to register again for the first grade.
To enroll in first grade a student must have proof of attendance at a full-day public or private kindergarten for a full academic year or have passed academic readiness screening at the time of enrollment at the school the child will attend.
For more information about student registration visit the School System website at www.stpsb.org or contact the Covington Attendance Office at 985.898.3370 or the Slidell Attendance Office at 985.646.4917.