As STPPS navigates the COVID-19 pandemic, we are committed to:
- Providing STPPS students with engaging continuous learning experiences, social-emotional support, and balanced nutrition
- Providing for the safety and well-being of all district employees and students
- Preventing the spread of COVID-19 in our school communities
The safety of our students and staff is our top priority. As we plan for the 2020-2021 school year, our school-based plans will be fluid and routinely adjusted. We are planning for various scenarios as we await guidance from health officials, the LDOE and the Resilient Louisiana Education Workforce Taskforce.
At the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year, our district is prepared to focus on instruction while at the same time addressing the physical, mental and social well-being of our students and needs of our community.
WHAT FAMILIES CAN EXPECT WHEN SCHOOL BEGINS
We are preparing to begin classes in person on August 6, and we are working on protocols to open schools safely. Some measures being considered include the following:
- Health and safety protocols to keep students, families, and employees safe and healthy
- Various learning scenarios that include in-person and distance learning
- Altered routines to allow for recommended social distancing
ENGAGING LEARNING EXPERIENCES
These are some possible learning scenarios we are considering.
- Traditional Learning: Open schools to students while following CDC recommended safety guidelines for class sizes, social distancing and movement, etc.
- Hybrid Learning: Combination of traditional and distance learning
- Distance Learning: Teacher led remote instruction and learning
HEALTHY AND SAFE CAMPUSES
These are possible health protocols we are considering based on guidance from health officials.
General Safety Precautions
- Staff and students may wear cloth masks, as feasible, when physical distancing is difficult
- Schools will follow cleaning and disinfection guidelines
- Students and employees will be encouraged to practice good hygiene and wash/clean their hands regularly
- Social distancing protocols will be established and communicated with all stakeholders
- Temperature checks for students, employees and visitors
- Encourage students and employees who are sick to stay home
- Students and employees who are sick may not attend school or work
Maintaining Social Distancing
- Students may follow altered routines for lunch, restroom breaks, bus unloading, and other travel patterns
- Bus capacity will be limited when necessary to ensure adequate spacing between students in accordance with guidelines
As the COVID-19 situation evolves, and as additional guidance is issued during the summer, this plan will be updated.